Wednesday, March 31, 2010

10 stories, 100 days

So, as I stated in yesterday's blog. I am starting a writing challenge. 10 stories in 100 days. That means I have to put out a new story every ten days. YIKES. Can I do this? I don't know, but I am sure as hell gonna try! So if you are reading this, send me some encouragement, if you can't comment my blog, just e-mail me so I know you are listening and I have an audience. I would hate to find out I was performing to an empty room! Ok...empty, besides Nathalie, Sarah, Tyler and my dear mom sitting in the corner over there! (HI!) Also....send me some challenges, anything to get the juices flowing. I need a challenge. I thrive on challenge.

I just completed a GREAT creative writing class and actually made a few writer friends! Before class ended a small group of us decided to continue getting together for writing workshops about twice a month, so this challenge will make sure I have something new each time we get together. I am really excited about this, and I hope my little group actually will meet to workshop. They are a great bunch of writers and I am excited to read their work. Also, if you have any work (yes, you...hiding in the shadows) send them my way. I would love to read it and critique it. You can learn so much by both critiquing and being critiqued.

To become a better writer, you should read. I mean....come on...right? It's pretty easy to figure that out, right? So I am going to try reading "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamont ( I started reading this for my class....but I got a little bit behind and ended up skimming through it, it seemed like a great book though) and my friend Sarah gave me "Everything you Need to Know about Creative Writing", so I will be looking at that, and William Zinsser's "On Writing" ( I have read most of this, but years ago, so I guess I will look at it again) I will also be looking into other books and brushing up on my grammar.

So I guess since it works so well with my other blog, I am going to set up my goals for the next TEN days!

1. Write a story (of course)
2. Read at least one of the above books
3. Write down some ideas for future stories
4. Look up some fun writing exercises

So...here are some writing exercises I have thought of so far. Please send me any suggestions you may have to add to this list.

1. Turn on Pandora radio, the first song that inspires me...write a story inspired by it.
2. Write a story based on an interesting secret posted on PostSecret
3. Old Ideas, I have a few old ideas worth salvaging so I may try to use them somehow

Yep, that's all I have. YIKES. I need help!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, read On Writing by Stephen King. It's actually filled with really great writing advice. Lol, you make me feel like I should definitely be writing more, Quinn!

    ReplyDelete